Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Giving Gluten-Free, Vegan Eating A Try

I've officially kicked off my gluten-free, vegan meal plan.  That's right.....gluten-free and vegan!  If you now me, you know I love eggs and turkey bacon, breads of all kinds, etc....A lot of which I'll have to reinvent and recreate in new ways. Over the past few years my diet has been transforming and changing as I've changed.  My breakfast back in 2010 ussually consisted of a Sonic Breakfast Buritto and a Route 44oz Coke (Seriously, almost every day!).  I cringe at the thought of how horribly I ate back then! Recently, my breakfasts have consisted of things like egg whites or hard boiled eggs, turkey bacon and grapes or an orange with green tea.  Definatly a BIG change!  Due to some recent health issues, I'm taking an even bigger leap and going ALL IN by trying a Gluten-Free, Vegan diet. 

So.....What is gluten? 
Gluten is the protein found in wheat and other grains like barley, rye, kamut and spelt. 

What does it mean to be Vegan? 
Being vegan means that you do NOT eat or use animal products. (I'm focusing on the eating part) 


My husband did a ton of research and thought this would be a great way to naturally heal my body. After I watched a ton of Youtube videos, searched for recipes on blogs and got a cookbook, I was convinced....I can (and I WILL) do this!  I'm not sure how long....it could be a week or a month or who knows.  I'm taking it day by day/  I have all my meals planned out for the week and I'm pretty excited to try some new things.  Today I tried Chia Seeds for the first time....they really make oatmeal into a yummy pudding like consistency when a little almond milk is added and you leave them in the fridge overnight...yum! 

Here's how my first day went in pictures: 

1. Sugar-Free Apple Pie Chia Seed Jam & Breakfast Parfait-> Here's the recipe: http://goo.gl/md0L7d

2. Crackers 

3. Lunch Bowl which included black bean & quinoa salad, 1/2 a sweet potato, mixed veggies and a side of guacamole -> Based off this recipe:http://goo.gl/L7NNRG

4. Carrots & Hummus


5. Banana 

6. Chilli-->> Loosely based on this recipe: http://goo.gl/7ST4Df

I'd love to hear from y'all!  Who had tried gluten-free, vegan eating?  What was your reason for giving it a try? 

No comments:

Post a Comment