Monday, July 7, 2014

Creating a Gallery Wall

 thought I'd share a bit of home decor ideas/projects with y'all since it's what I'm spending a lot of time doing right now.  We moved into our very FIRST home last September and we've been slowly, but surely, conquering all the decorating projects.  

I've  been working to create a fun, new gallery wall in our living room on the wall right by the entrance to our master bedroom.  There's a large wall that was blank except for one owl painting a dear friend gave us for our wedding.  I love the painting and wanted to make it the focal point, but wanted to add LOTS more fun.  I'm def NOT a minimalist in the decorating department. lol

I found this picture on pinterest and fell in LOVE with the layout, so I came up with my own plan below, check it out:
Now that I've begun the process of creating the wall a few things have changed from the original plan . (Don't they always!)  I wanted to share a few DIYs from the gallery wall that I've knocked out thus far....

First, I wanted to create something similar to the monogram in my inspiration picture, but I didn't like the dark black letters, so I went for a pop of color.  Here's how i created it:

Supplies: 
-2 small letters
-1 large wooden letter
-1 large picture frame
-1 large piece of scrapbook paper
-Spray paint in the color of your choice
-Patterned washi tape
-Hot glue gun and glue sticks

Directions:
1. Frame a piece of scrapbook paper in the large frame.
2. Spray paint 2 small letters in the color of your choice
3. Cover the large wooden letter with patterned wash tape
4. Glue the letters on the glass of the picture frame to form the monogram


I used the same process with the next frame.....just spray paint the wooden number and glue on the glass after you've frame a piece of coordinating scrapbook paper. 


The next thing I made was a small picture board.  I decided to put this where a mirror should have gone, because I had trouble finding an inexpensive mirror I liked that was the right size & style.  I already had all the supplies for this except the mini clothespins, so it just cost me about $2 for those....gotta love that!!  Here's how I created it:

Supplies:
-Medium picture frame (Remove the glass)
-1 sheet of scrapbook paper
-Scissors
-2 strips of burlap
-Mini clothespins
-Small pictures or quotes of your choice
-Hot glue gun and glue sticks

Directions:
1. Place the scrapbook paper inside the frame
2. Fold the strips of burlap in 2 with the front flap lower than the back flap.
3. Put them (layered over one another) around the scrap book paper.
4. Glue the edges of the burlap to the bak of the picture frame. (Be sure to trip them down so the frame lays flat on the wall when it's hanging.)
5. Clip on the mini clothespins with the pictures & quotes onto the burlap strips.


I hope y'all enjoyed this post....please let me know if you'd like me to do more of these!!  Also, I'd love to hear about what decorating/DIY projects you've tried lately....let me know in the comments.  ~Kendra~

No comments:

Post a Comment