Monday, December 21, 2015

Staying On Track With Your Health & Fitness During The Holidays


With travels, family visits, holiday parties, Christmas dinner and an abundance of desserts, it can be tough to keep your eating on track and even more tough to find time to squeeze in a workout, BUT it can be done. Really, it can! :-)

Let's get right down to the how...How can you stay focused during this busy time?  Well, I'd like to share a few tips that have worked for me.

1. Wake up early

If you don't have any time in your day to workout, wake up 30 minutes earlier than the rest of your family and get your workout in first thing in the morning.  This alleviates the chance to put it off to later, which sometimes never comes.  Plus, you know you've got your workout in so you don't have to feel stressed about having a little taste of the chocolate pie.

Get up, get it done and join on with your day. 

2. Just have water.

Saying no to sodas, tea and other holiday drinks can really cut down on the amount of sugar and added calories you're consuming throughout the day.  I always feel like drinking my calories away is such a waste (except for fresh made juice, of course!). 

You should be getting enough water to equal 1/2 your body weight in ounces and I actually try to drink more than that at holiday parties and dinners, because it naturally helps keep you feeling full so you can fight the urge to snack all day.

3.  Watch your portions

There's a difference between having a piece of pie and having 1/2 the pie...haha Trust me, in holidays years ago I would stuff myself soooo full of turkey and desserts that I would literally get sick, have to unbutton my jeans and basically go into a coma on the couch. 

Don't follow in my old footsteps...save yourself and your tummy some grief.  Just have a piece of pie...a sensible piece that you'll enjoy, but isn't so big that you'll regret. 

4. Get moving.

It's easy to spend your holiday planted on the couch watching Christmas movies and parades  curled up under a blanket next to a fire, but it's also easy to get up every once in a while.  Help clean off the table, pickup all the wrapping paper that's covering the floor after everyone tears into the presents.  Hey, every little bit of movement helps! 

5. Keep healthy snacks on hand.

I'm not sure about your mom, but mine goes crazy with desserts....chocolate pie, fudge, cookies and more.  There's just as many dessert options as there are side dishes!! haha  

Yes, they all look yummy, but chowing down on everything will leave you feeling blah and will get you further from your goals.  How do you resist?  By keeping a few healthy options on hand.  Here are a few of my favs:  pitted dates, bananas, crackers or veggies dipped in hummus, gluten free, vegan chocolate protein bars and chocolate chip banana oat cookies.

Do you have any other tips or tricks you use to stay on track?  Share them below!! :-)


4 comments:

  1. What a great list! The holidays can be your worst enemy if you let it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great tips. I totally agree with #5! I love having healthy granola bars or fruit in my purse so I wont have an excuse to buy chips or candy at the grocery store.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Waking up early is going to be one of my new year resolutions. I would love to get in the habit of getting in my workouts at 6am, or at least work on blog stuff at 6am. i find quiet mornings are when my creative juices flow the best. - Mai Lyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom is the dessert queen so your tips will come in handy! Great list!

    ReplyDelete